February 26, 2008

Hardware Supply Hiccup

My hardware supplier had some issues sourcing the XFX motherboard so I ended up shelling another $100 out for a different one. Being a huge fan of ASUS, I ended up getting myself a P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. The major difference with this board is the OnBoard video device - an intel GMA X3500, their latest DirectX 10.0 and Shader Model 4.0 compliant video card. Really, I was tempted to go down the nVidia path, but I was too keen to wait so I ended up with this one. Features I don't like about this board are the fact that it's only got a single PCI card and it's twice the price.

Features that I do like are the additional SATA controller ports, the S/PDIF In port, which is natively on the motherboard. The XFX Listed S/PDIF IN only, which I was concerned about. ASUS also have some of their own fancy BIOS controlled fan settings, which you can very simply just set the device to 'quietest' and off you go.

That said, it's an ASUS and it will no doubt perform perfectly, and I know for sure their BIOS' etc will be regularly updated. It can now sit next to all my other ASUS motherboard'd PC's in my house! :) hehe.

For a detailed review of this board, check this out. I am really becoming a fan of the Slient PC review site, it REALLY detailed the important things in their reviews while not nitpicking over stupid in-game FPS meters and software CPU measurement tools. I believe this stuff's for people who just want to overtinker their computers, cause they refuse to just pay another $40 for the faster CPU (which would overclock to the next level anyway).

No comments: